It’s Official. Our Members are the Best!
By Krystle L. DiNicola, Marketing Assistant
The Long Island Press has announced the winners of the “2015 Best of Long Island Awards“. This year was the 10th anniversary edition of the online contest and with more than 50,000 businesses nominated across Long Island, the competition was steep. There were more than two million votes cast resulting in 479 winners across a wide variety of categories.
We would like to congratulate the following Patchogue Chamber members for winning first place:
In the Arts & Entertainment category:
- Best Art Gallery – ArtSpace Patchogue
- Downtown Patchogue has undergone a dynamic and exciting renovation over the last decade. With a multitude of trendy restaurants and a thriving theater culture, the missing piece of the puzzle seemed to be an art community. Enter ArtSpace Patchogue, which transformed a significant portion of the downtown village into an architecturally interesting space, with 45 loft units for artists and their families, boasting 2,500 square feet of retail space, and completing Patchogue’s significant renaissance. Solar panels were recently added to the roof of the building in an effort to reduce costs and promote a forward-looking vision.
- Best Local Live Theater – Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts
- With a plethora of theatrical venues across the Island, the top spot in the Bethpage Best Of L.I. competition must undoubtedly go to a place set apart from all others, somewhere extremely special, where both the purveyors of these timeless crafts, as well as its audience can truly be at home. A place that’s inviting, nurturing and inspiring. Voters have resoundingly chosen Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts as just that spot. Offering a full calendar of events that range from show-stopping live musical performances to children’s theater and beyond, the theater is a literal incubator of creativity that exudes the finest imaginative interpretations punctuated by lively and thought-provoking living art masterpieces. With more than 1,100 seats and a rich history of excellence that spans more than 80 years, Patchogue Theatre is so much more than just a live venue hall; it is an integral part of the very fabric of Long Island.
In the Clothing category:
- Best Lingerie Store – Blum’s
- When Arthur and Molly Blum opened Blum’s Corset Shop in Patchogue in 1927, they had no idea that 88 years later Long Island women would still flock to Blum’s, knowing it’s the best place to buy intimate apparel. In fact, just like they did in 1927, Blum’s still offers professional “old-fashioned” fittings so you know you will have the best fit for your body. Their expanded offerings now include resort wear and swimwear, giving Long Island women an extensive inventory to find just the right look to go with the right fit.
- Best Shoe Store – David’s Shoe Emporium
- Formerly known as Weiner Shoes (since 1947), the Zegel family has been providing a wide variety of comfortable, quality shoes for decades. They take great pride in their extraordinary inventory, impressive customer service and exceptional dedication to resolving your footwear needs. Long Islanders recognize their commitment and passion, and have designated this local gem the Best!
For the Food & Drink category:
- Best Cup of Coffee – Roast Coffee & Tea
- Prefer your coffee with the spicy flavor that comes from the West Maui Mountains? No problem. Want more citrus notes in your Colombian brew? They’ve got it. Or, just want to try batches from another far-flung farm? Roast Coffee & Tea Trading Co. has it all and they always serve their fresh, steaming java with a smile. Those are just a few of the reasons why Long Islanders voted Roast as the Best.
- Best Meatball – That Meetball Place
- Remember growing up and smelling that oh-so magical aroma of your grandma’s meatballs wafting from her kitchen? It almost magnetically summoned you to investigate, relish and sample them. Well, that experience is recreated daily in Patchogue. That Meetball Place’s goal is “to create an atmosphere for friends and families to gather together and enjoy each other’s company in a relaxed environment with a great vibe and simple food like grandma used to make.” Utilizing only the freshest ingredients, its chef molds meatballs that will have you saying, “Mama Mia, that’s a spicy meatball!”
In the category of Nightlife & Spirits:
- The building may go back to 1850 when it first took shape but there’s nothing dated about the lively spirit overflowing inside this homegrown brewery and restaurant in the heart of Patchogue, where fine food and great brews are always on tap. From its inception, the BrickHouse has been proud to pour its own flagship beers, but they’ll offer customers other favorite brands because they live to serve, and that’s the mark of any great bar. Yet, when it comes to crafting creations, they strive to keep it hopping. They’ve collaborated with Patchogue’s Roast Coffee & Tea Trading Company for the third straight year to create a new, festive beer for the holiday season, complete with a mocha finish called Main Street Mocha Porter.
- Best Bartenders – BrickHouse Brewery & Restaurant
- You would figure that a great bar as picked by the voters in the Best Bar category would also host the Best Bartenders because its hard to have one without the other. Quenching their patrons’ thirst is a given. They set the bar at a higher level. All you have to do is raise your glass. The bartenders at the BrickHouse are the masters of the mix. Day or night, they know how to go with the flow and pour it just right every time. And, as all great bartenders, they’re also excellent listeners.
- Best Craft Beer Brewery – Blue Point Brewing Company
- Now in its second decade, Blue Point has become one of the top 50 independent craft breweries in the country. Its founders, Mark Burford and Peter Cotter, comb the world for quality hops, barley and yeast and combine these ingredients with meticulous care. They know their brews; Blue Point’s Toasted Lager brought home the Gold Medal from the World Beer Cup Awards. There are at least 22 brews on tap, from the bold Hoptical Illusion to RastafaRye Ale, and our favorites, Old Howling Bastard and Toxic Sludge (a Long Island inspiration to be sure). Remember their motto: “Think global, drink local.” Good beers for good people, indeed.
- Best Happy Hour – BrickHouse Brewery & Restaurant
- As one pleased patron once put it, “this is the kind of place where you come in for happy hour and stay until 2 a.m.” Here the happiness starts flowing from 4 to 7 p.m., with an added free buffet on Fridays. Besides a wide array of bottle and tap beers, Brick House Brewery serves its own beers, including Street Light, the Nitro Boom Stout and Hurricane Kitty. So, let the good times roll because happy times are here again!
- Best Singles Spot – BrickHouse Brewery & Restaurant
- Do the most interesting singles mingle at the BrickHouse Brewery? You betcha. This crowd is a cut above the rest because BrickHouse’s social scene is a huge attraction. Here, the eligible find the excitement they’re seeking, whether they’re out with friends or flying solo, looking for love or just looking for fun. To dance the night away with someone new or to have a few with folks you already know or those you haven’t met yet, this is the perfect venue.
In the Services category:
- Best Pawn Shop – William J. O’Neill Sales Exchange
- If you find yourself in a financial jam and need a short-term loan or some immediate cash, the professionals at William J. O’Neill Sales Exchange are there to lend you a hand. They know how to assess a wide range of goods, giving you a fair price and fast cash right when you need it.
We are also proud to announce that the Chamber’s summer street festival, Alive After Five®, has been voted “Best Annual Event or Festival on Long Island!”
“Summers make Patchogue come Alive After Five®! Presented by the Greater Patchogue Chamber of Commerce for 13 consecutive years on select dates throughout the summer, at the Alive After Five® festival, the streets are closed to vehicles and the people take over, enjoying live musical performances on seven stages, food vendors, children’s activities and much more. Patchogue’s star restaurants open their doors to the streets so you can stop in and enjoy a fancy cocktail at one, an appetizer at another and so on throughout Main Street, mingling with your fellow Long Islanders in this ultimate party atmosphere! The annual Alive After Five® festival has become synonymous with great family fun!”